Profit means ‘money gained from a business or transaction after deducting costs.’
- The company’s profit increased by 5 percent over last year.
- The shop made a profit of 100₹ on each necklace that they sold.
Profit is an advantage, benefit or gain.
- What profit is there in honesty?
Profit also means ‘to gain an advantage.’
- The wise man profits from his experience.
- We can all profit by learning from our mistakes.
- The couple profited when they sold their home for twice its original cost.
Don’t confuse it with
prophet: a person who speaks for a god. Example: “Isaiah was a prophet in the Hebrew bible.”
turn a profit: to start making a profit. Example: “After five years of losing money, the restaurant finally turned a profit.”
profit sharing: a system where workers get a share of a company’s profit. Example: “The company offers sales representatives profit sharing when they meet their sales goals.”